Two million travelers passed through TSA checkpoints on October 21, 2021 — a fairly typical day now that air travel is getting back into full swing. With creative signage strategies, each of those travelers represents an opportunity to share your advertisers’ messages with potential clients, partners and customers.
It’s easy to think of airport signage as limited to typical large-format fabric graphics, but today’s airports offer endless possibilities for signage of all shapes, sizes and formats: Silicone Edge Graphics (SEG) adhesive products, backlit signs, window clings, wall, escalator, column wraps, freestanding and floor graphics, and more. Each of these formats and more can be deployed to put compelling messages in front of your air passenger audience.
Here are a few of our favorite trends in airport signage and displays for next year and beyond:
- Fabric SEG displays: We love these large-format graphics for terminal walls, especially as travelers pass by between gates and through atriums. They can feature bold advertising and stunning images of landmarks and regional vistas. SEGs utilize fabric wall graphics that can be installed from floor to ceiling.
- Self-adhesive graphics: Don’t limit yourself to walls. We love self-adhesive wraps on columns, escalators, elevator doors … even luggage carousels! Place branding everywhere your audience is looking, especially where they’re not expecting it.
- Back-lit graphics: Light boxes and backlit displays add extra pop to any environment. Many airports feature airy spaces where messaging can be lost, but backlit displays solve that problem.
- Fabric banners: Many airports feature high ceilings and open atriums. Bring visual interest to those spaces with dramatic, bold fabric banners in custom shapes designed to fit any space.
- Window clings: Window clings are perfect for seasonal or temporary signage specific to a certain area, notices of detours for foot traffic and other wayfinding options that don’t require permanent signage.
- Special exhibits: Animations on LED displays or video walls make a bold impression, catching travelers’ eyes and imaginations. Make use of a combination of media to create an installation that blurs the line between advertising and art.
- Wayfinding: We are endlessly curious about how airports use creative signage solutions to enhance wayfinding throughout the air travel experience.
Due to the seasonal nature of travel, airports present a constantly changing set of opportunities to inform and connect with air travelers. The blend of business, fun and family travelers gives your team license to be creative and playful with your messaging strategies.
Have ideas you’re ready to implement? Do you need inspiration and guidance for airport signage and display campaigns? DGI’s print and audio visual teams are ready to help you create a marketing plan that takes advantage of these airport display trends to share your message with the world.